[MPlayer-users] Howto get surround sound output

darkshadow darkshadow at shaw.ca
Wed Feb 18 13:09:38 CET 2004

I am trying to watch a dvd but am unable to get surround sound output
from the spdif output

command: "mplayer dvd://1 -dvd-device FREAKY_FRIDAY_2003/ -ao alsa1x
-channels 6"

I just get the front left and right which does not include voices in
this movie
I have tested with a pair of ear buds (no speakers) connected to each of
the 3.5mm connections on the sound card and can get the full 5.1 sound
(voices when using one connection then background in another plus) but
this is unacceptable to me as I want to use my surround sound receiver)

my setup is:
alsa driver 1.0.2c as in kernel 2.6.3
alsa lib 1.0.2
alsa utils 1.0.2
mplayer cvs from 5 minutes ago
Sound card is a Sound blaster Audigy 2 Platinum with only connections
are Aux2 input and spdif output used