[MPlayer-users] VP6 support?

D Richard Felker III dalias at aerifal.cx
Tue Feb 10 18:53:32 CET 2004

On Tue, Feb 10, 2004 at 06:10:07PM +0300, Vladimir Mosgalin wrote:
> On Tue, 10 Feb 2004, Amadeus wrote:
>
> A>I have read about the VP6 codec from On2, and read the tests that they
> A>have provided. Judging from that, it should be better than WMV9. So I have
> A>been wondering, is VP6 also better than mpeg4 for high/low bitrates
> A>aswell?
>
> VP6 is definitely much better than mpeg4, at least on low bitrates.
> Download encoder from their site, try to encode, say, 400kbps video in
> 640x480, compare it with lavc's encoded mpeg4 and be amazed. Decoder has

Pure propaganda. The only reason you think VP6 looks better is that is
has its own builtin postprocessing to hide the blocking and ringing
artefacts. AFAIK it doesn't keep any more actual detail (just hides
the ugliness) and the PSNR values On2 publishes show it performing
much worse than lavc's mpeg4...

Rich