[MPlayer-users] x forwarded control

Corey Hickey bugfood-ml at fatooh.org
Mon Feb 9 20:34:50 CET 2004

JQ wrote:
> Hi, I'm new to the list.
>
> I'm trying to use mplayer to play divx in the following scenario:
>
> A) Computer that has video, mplayer, and is plugged into the projector
> via VGA.
> B) Computer running X Server and used basically just to control mplayer.
>
> Run mplayer over X forwarding on computer B, and somehow have the video
> from mplayer go straight to computer A's local vga output.
>
> Since it looks like there are quite a few output options for mplayer
> (including no X) I'm wondering if this is possible.
> I appreciate any comments, pointers, ideas, or better search terms for
> google than the ones I've tried.
>
> Chon

I'm not sure if I entirely understand what you mean, but you should be
able to ssh into A from B and set $DISPLAY to the X server running
locally on A. Like this:

[A] ssh B
...password...
[B] export DISPLAY=:0.0
[B] mplayer somevideo.avi

Then you can control mplayer like normal over the ssh terminal.

-Corey