[MPlayer-users] Why is it "Skipping frame!"s?

Corey Hickey bugfood-ml at fatooh.org
Sat Feb 7 04:31:42 CET 2004

Matthias Czapla wrote:

> I wouldn't say "problem" because the resulting file plays just fine (at
> least for me) :)
> But it keeps skipping frames when I do the following without any frameno.avi
> lying around:
>
> for i in 1 2; do
>         nice -19 mencoder -aid 128 -oac pcm -ovc lavc \
> 	-lavcopts vcodec=mpeg4:mbd=2:trell:vbitrate=509:vpass=$i \
> 	-sws 2 -vf crop=672:316:24:130,scale=544:240 \
> 	-dvd-device some_image.bin dvd://1
> done

Are you sure it's just fine, though? In NTSC land, at least, whem
mencoder is skipping frames the encoded video "jumps" a little bit
whenever the frame is skipped. You have to look closely at some scene
with constant motion (like panning) to see it.

Do you have access to post a small portion of your DVD image on some
http or ftp server so I can download it and experiment?

-Corey