[MPlayer-users] EPIA 5000 & Radeon 9200SE PCI performance

Bahadir Yagan bahadir.yagan at mentorsystem.com
Fri Feb 6 10:42:10 CET 2004

Andreas wrote:
> Hi again
>
> Could anyone please comment on this?
>
> Thanks
> -Andreas
>
> On Tue, Feb 03, 2004 at 11:45:01PM +0100, Andreas wrote:
>
>>Hi
>>
>>I'm building a fan-less and diskless media box using a EPIA 5000 with
>>a ATI Radeon 9200SE PCI and M-audio Delta 410.
>>
>>I'm using mplayer as my primary media player and have some
>>performance problems. CD and MP3 playback is flawless but my DVD
>>playback is too slow and "lags".
>>
>>I'm running linux-2.6.1-mm5, latest XFree with the kernel drm driver.
>>
>>I have the following stuff enable for my dvd player...
>>
>>Video output: XV
>>Audio output: OSS EMU
>>Audio plugin: Volume & Channels
>>Other: Fullscreen & 16:9 Monitor aspect
>>
>>The CPU usage is at 95% and I get "lag" during heavy action scenes and
>>pans. The audio drops out a little now and then.
>>
>>My questions, is this the best I can get with my setup or I'm missing
>>something?
>>
>>See my attached mplayer output.
>>
>>When looking at this benchmark of the VIA mini-itx boards
>>http://www.mini-itx.com/reviews/nehemiah/?page=12#s25
>>
>>You can see the major difference between 5000 & 6000ME - 6000 is basicly
>>100mhz more and better mpeg decoding support on the built it vga card.
>>I was hoping to do something like that with my Radeon card.
>>(i know its far fetched, its windows)
>>
>>Thanks in advanced.
>>-Andreas
>>
>>and yes, dma is on. ;)

ME6000 boards have hardware mpeg2 dec/enc chip (CLE266) on them. Without
  it neither 500Mhz nor 600Mhz is enough to fully decode a DVD. I dont
know if radeon has a smilar mpeg2 support.

As far as I know that mpeg2 decoder CLE266 is not supported by mplayer
also. VIA released a xine driven player called VeXP to support their
hardware under linux.

--
Bahadır Yağan
Mentor Mühendislik