[MPlayer-users] problems with rtsp on arm

James Lancaster james at kirk.math.twsu.edu
Fri Feb 6 02:55:45 CET 2004

On Wednesday 04 February 2004 09:07 pm, Stephen Stocker wrote:
>   Hi,
>
>   I don't know what's with the rtsp streams, half of them haven't worked
>   for the past several weeks. This is another weird one, in that I could
>   get it to play, but not dump the stream.
>
>   This one at least plays, though, which is more than a lot of them. The
>   BBC's video is also broken again. Looks like a redirect problem, which
>   MPlayer isn't able to parse.
>
>   Take care,
>   Steve
>
> >I've got an iPaq H3970 with Familiar-Linux-Gpe_2.1
> >I've crosscompiled Mplayer 1.0pre3 with live.com support, Faad and libmad
> >When I try to play a mp4 file from rtsp streaming, the video is very very
> > slow and the sound is always interrupted, but when i set the option flag
> > '-nosound' the quality is nice.
> >The output is like this:

What it may very well be (I can't remember if faad in particular is or isn't)
that the audio codec is a floating point based one. Similar situations
happened on my Zaurus (206MHz StrongARM) when initially getting mplayer to
work, (my page on that has moved (533Alpha->2GHz Athlon 64, being the cause)
for the moment to  http://156.26.12.150/family/james/mplayer.html, some such
as the audiocodec change is valid, and some (-aop
resample:format:resample=44100 is outdated),  I will update it when the
webpage gets transfered over as well.) and found out that mp3lib was floating
point.

ffmpeg audio codecs(I think one of the wmas may have fp math, though most
codecs are safe, and I am not certain on that), libmad is purely integer, ogg
(see --enable-tremor) can be played with an integer decoder. Almost all if
not all video codecs are integer based, so there isn't much worry there.

James L