[MPlayer-users] copy a part of a dvd

Corey Hickey bugfood-ml at fatooh.org
Tue Feb 3 22:13:49 CET 2004

gabor wrote:
> hi,
>
> i want to copy a part  (1-2minutes)  of a dvd-movie to my harddisk. i
> don't want to reencode it into mpeg4, i'd prefer to have it 'normally'
> as it was stored on dvd.
>
> i experimented with "mplayer -dumpstream", which works, but i first want
> to seek to the given position.
>
> something like "mplayer -seek 23:00 -frames 1000" plays the part i want
> to extract, but adding the -dumpstream switch makes mplayer dump the
> video from the beginning.
>
> any ideas?
>
> gabor

There may or may not be a better way to do this, but go ahead and use
dumpstream until mplayer has dumped at least as far as you need. Then,
experiment with:
$ dd if=stream.dump bs=1M skip=xxx | mplayer -
until you find the right skip offsets for the beginning and end. Use the
start value for skip= and subtract them to get count=, so then you have
something like:
$ dd if=stream.dump bs=1M skip=123 count=45 of=cut.dump

Note that depending on your cut positions, sometimes the audio may not
play correctly, or mplayer will select a different track. That's normal,
and you can vary them slightly until they work.

-Corey