[MPlayer-users] Multiple audio streams when ripping dvds

D Richard Felker III dalias at aerifal.cx
Mon Feb 2 06:31:18 CET 2004

On Sun, Feb 01, 2004 at 11:26:48PM +0100, Alexander Noé wrote:
> D Richard Felker III wrote:
>
> >On Sun, Feb 01, 2004 at 07:50:30PM +0100, Michael Tomuschat wrote:

> >>Hello,
> >>
> >>when I'm ripping a DVD (with mencoder) I would like to have multiple
> >>audio streams (english, german, french, ...) in the resultung AVI-file.
> >>Is that possible and how can I do it?
> >>

> >No, mencoder only supports one audio stream. You should seriously
> >consider using subtitles.
> >
> Before I say something very unfriendly: Are you serious??

Yes, on both counts. MEncoder does not support multiple audio streams.
In fact half the programs out there that play avi's won't correctly
play such a file anyway, so it's not recommended to make one. You
could use a separate tool afterwards to merge in an extra audio track,
but....

That brings me to my second point, which I was also dead serious
about. Dubbing a movie is the number one way to totally trash the
experience of watching it. The vocal tones are different, the
personality of characters is different, everything is different. Dubs
have one purpose: for illiterate people to get the basics of a foreign
movie. But if you're literate, for goodness sake, read the subtitles!!
Hearing someone else's language won't hurt you.

Rich