[MPlayer-users] Fedora Core1, nvidia drivers, MPlayer on the console - no video, audio-O.K.

peter kostov peter at light-bg.com
Fri Dec 17 14:28:33 CET 2004

Hi Reimar thank you for your reply,
that are the drivers compiled on my system (output from mplayer -vo
help):
	xv      X11/Xv
        x11     X11 ( XImage/Shm )
        xover   General X11 driver for overlay capable video output
drivers
        gl      X11 (OpenGL)
        gl2     X11 (OpenGL) - multiple textures version
        dga     DGA ( Direct Graphic Access V2.0 )
        sdl     SDL YUV/RGB/BGR renderer (SDL v1.1.7+ only!)
        fbdev   Framebuffer Device
        fbdev2  Framebuffer Device
        png     PNG file
        jpeg    JPEG file
        gif89a  animated GIF output
        null    Null video output
        pgm     PGM file
        md5     MD5 sum
        mpegpes Mpeg-PES file
        yuv4mpeg        yuv4mpeg output for mjpegtools (to "stream.yuv")
        vesa    VESA VBE 2.0 video output
        xvidix  X11 (VIDIX)
        cvidix  console VIDIX
        tga     Targa output

Non of these worked as a normal user (I have not tryed png, jpeg, gif...
becouse I am interested in playing the video now). As root only vesa
worked! That is something, but I still don`t know why cvidix doesn`t
work?

On Fri, 2004-12-17 at 13:31, Reimar Döffinger wrote:
> Hi,
> > I have started mplayer whith that comand:
> > mplayer -vo xv videofile
> > and it returns that message:
> >
> > vo: couldn't open the X11 display ()!
> > Error opening/initializing the selected video_out (-vo) device.
>
> -vo xv can't work unless X is running and $DISPLAY is set correctly.
>
> > Dropping just the "-vo cvidix" from the command
> > "mplayer -vf format=uyvy -vc divxds -vo cvidix videofile.avi" allso didn`t worked
>
> don't use -vf format=.. and -vc..., they should be unneccessary. For
> console display you can try (-vo help for a list of drivers that were
> compiled in in your version, I list all that are available in
> principle).
> 1) -vo cvidix (works for me with GeForce3 and nVidia binary drivers).
> 2) -vo vesa
> 3) -vo svga
> 4) -vo fbdev or -vo fbdev2 or -vo directfb2
>
> Most (all?) of these need root permissions or svgalib_helper.
>
> 5) -vo aa or -vo caca for ascii-art output.
>
> Also read http://mplayerhq.hu/DOCS/HTML/en/video.html
>
> Greetings,
> Reimar Döffinger

Peter Kostov