[MPlayer-users] help with subtitles

Amadeus W.M. amadeus84 at sbcglobal.net
Sat Dec 11 07:13:31 CET 2004

I'm trying to display some subtitles I found on the web in mplayer. I've
been using mplayer for a long time, but I never had to worry about
subtitles. I think I did what the documentation says, but I must be doing
something wrong, but no subtitles are being displayed. The mplayer I have
is mplayer-1.0-0.10.pre4.1.fc2.fr from an rpm repository, running on FC2.

I know nothing about the various subtitle formats. The one I have
looks like this (this is the actual beginning of the file):

{100}{300}Extras cu SubRip 1.14 \uffffi Verificat de CdinT|cdint at hotmail.com
{301}{420}I deliver perfection...|and don't brag about it! :D
{644}{718}Mozart!
{961}{1030}Some text...
etc.

in a file called Amadeus.sub (not in English). Judging by the extension
that should be VOBsub, but when I try

mplayer dvd://1 -vobsub Amadeus.sub

I get

Playing dvd://1.
VobSub: Can't open IFO file
VobSub: Can't open IDX file
fopen Vobsub file failed: No such file or directory
VobSub: Can't open SUB file
No matching VOBSUB language found!

I did make a link
lrwxrwxrwx  1 amadeus users    36 Dec  4 23:13 subfont.ttf ->
/usr/share/tvtime/tvtimeSansBold.ttf

but I don't think that's the problem. Could someone please shed some light?
What format is that subtitles file that I have, and how can display it?

Thanks!