[MPlayer-users] encode to dvd useing nicos patch produce null size mpeg file!

Giacomo Comes comes at naic.edu
Fri Dec 10 17:12:54 CET 2004

On Fri, Dec 10, 2004 at 04:53:12PM +0100, Heine Laursen wrote:
> Giacomo Comes wrote:
>
> >>With more ore less unsuccisfull. So I'll do it the hard way.
> >>Try until I get somthing to work :-)
> >

> >Assuming a PAL DVD, and that the original video has an
> >aspect ratio of 1.3, adding
>
> That is correct.
>
> >	-vf scale=702:576,expand=720:576
> >to mencoder will do the job.
>
> Well that's basicley what I don't undarstand!
>
> How can the aspect be 1.33 when it's not 1.33?
>
> 707 / 576 = 1.21
> 720 / 570 = 1.26
>
> I'm confused :-(

720x576 is the PAL DVD resolution for the movie
stored on the disk.
It will always be that. It doesn't matter if
the video is 16/9 or 4/3.
The mpeg stream contains a flag that tells the
player the aspect ratio of the movie.

A 4/3 PAL DVD is played at 768x576,
a 16/9 at 1024x576
but remember, the video is always encoded at 720x576.
(720x576 is not the only resolution permitted by
the DVD standard, but all commercial DVD uses that
one because it is the highest, I think)

Giacomo