[MPlayer-users] playlist file syntax

Carl Karsten carl at personnelware.com
Wed Dec 8 19:20:45 CET 2004

Jessica Johnson wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> The docs say that the playlist format is one file per line. So it
> doesn't seem to be possible to make a playlist file that includes a
> playtree.  (Correct me if I'm wrong here.)  It would be useful to be
> able to specify, say
>
> { "song1.mp3" "song2.mp3" }
> { "song3.mp3" }

So does that represent 2 files, or what?

> in a playlist file.
>
> I've been thinking of modifying the source to expand the accepted syntax
> of a playlist file.  Is this something other people would be interested
> in?  Any core developers want to comment on the likelihood of this patch
> being accepted?

I have been interested in this subject too.  Here are some of my thoughts:

1. Don't invent a new format if something already exists.

Here is a list of playlist formats that is about 1 year old, but a good
starting point: http://gonze.com/playlists/playlist-format-survey.html

Here is one that seemed way overkill:
http://www.softarch.com/us/press/ostampv.htm which links to this:
http://www.osta.org/specs/pdf/MultiAudio110.pdf

2. mplayer options in the playlist.  Or more in line with #1, generic
options for the player program.  so where mPlayer uses -fs, I would like
to see "fullscreen" or something.

3. A way to reference DVD's.  right now dvd://1 works, but it relies on
the disk being in what mplayer sees as -dvd-device.  If I ever get that
10 terabyte HD and copy all my DVD's into subdirs, I am not sure there
is a good way to reference foo/video_ts in a playlist.

Carl K