[MPlayer-users] Re: MacOS X "second-class citizen" :-(

Carl Karsten carl at personnelware.com
Mon Dec 6 19:26:13 CET 2004

D Richard Felker III wrote:
> On Sat, Dec 04, 2004 at 09:18:02AM -0500, Dave Chand wrote:
>
>>I have gotten the same feeling about Mac OS X being "second-class
>>citizen"
>>Shame!
>

> if i may be so blundt, it's a second-class citizen because it's
> non-free and full of broken stuff (nonstandard locations, bloated gui,
> c compiler that conflicts with standard c, ...) yet worshipped by
> thousands of stupid fanbois.
>
> i'm not against committing patches that help macosx support as long as
> they don't break other things. but there just aren't many developers
> interested (and for good reason), and i'm certainly not going to buy a
> mac or go find one to test on just to help you.

In an attempt to dampen the flames, how about this:

It's a second-class citizen because there just aren't many developers
interested.

I too have submitted patches (not to mplayer, but other projects) that
have gone un implemented. It is frustrating, but given the cards we are
all dealt, that's how things play out.  We/they may not always make the
best use of our cards, but one of them is time.  How much time should be
spent trying to figure out what to do?  It doesn't matter, because it is
up to each of us to figure out how to spend our time.

Carl K