[MPlayer-users] Re: MacOS X "second-class citizen" :-(

D Richard Felker III dalias at aerifal.cx
Mon Dec 6 17:11:52 CET 2004

On Mon, Dec 06, 2004 at 07:05:33AM -0600, Kichigai Mentat wrote:
> On Dec 4, 2004, at 14.05, D Richard Felker III wrote:
>
> >On Sat, Dec 04, 2004 at 09:18:02AM -0500, Dave Chand wrote:
> >>I have gotten the same feeling about Mac OS X being "second-class
> >>citizen"
> >>Shame!
> >
> >if i may be so blundt, it's a second-class citizen because it's
> >non-free and full of broken stuff (nonstandard locations, bloated gui,
> >c compiler that conflicts with standard c, ...) yet worshipped by
> >thousands of stupid fanbois.
> Yet, Windows seems to have this problem too, yet the Windows version of
> MPlayer seems to get a lot more attention than many of the requests for
> OS X help.

i must say i have more respect for windows users, because 99% of the
time they're using it because they feel stuck with it, not because
they chose it as an alternative. bringing free software to them is a
way to show them that there are alternatives that are better, and make
the eventual abandonment of windows easier (because they can keep
their best programs, which are free).

with that said, i don't think my personal reason has anything to do
with windows support for mplayer being better than macosx. rather,
there are just a lot more people interested in windows support than
macosx support, and thus a few of them on the actual development team
(however, iirc at least one of them isn't really a "windows user"
anymore, these days :).

rich