[MPlayer-users] encode2mpeg 0.3.1 possible bug but encoding OK

Nico Sabbi nsabbi at tiscali.it
Wed Dec 1 21:21:54 CET 2004

Giacomo Comes wrote:

>On Wed, Dec 01, 2004 at 08:09:59PM +0100, Nico wrote:
>

>>Giacomo Comes wrote:

>>>As already told, these messages can be ignored.
>>>The mpeg file is OK.
>>>I don't know why the messages are there.
>>>Some time ago mencoder was not able to produce
>>>"good" mpeg streams. At some point it was able to do it,
>>>but it took some time for me to realize it. Because of
>>>the presence of such messages, I was thinking there were still
>>>problems. I was wrong. After I realised that it was possible to
>>>create valid mpeg streams with mencoder I introduced
>>>mpeg mode in encode2mpeg.
>>>
>>>There are other posibble "error" messages in mpeg mode like:
>>>
>>>Error in stream: PTS to SCR delay 0 is too little!
>>>

>>this one may be harmless, or may be not; depends on how far apart they are
>>

>>>Error in stream: PTS earlier than SCR!
>>>

>>>All can be ignored.
>>>

>>no, this last one is an _critical_ error: it means that a SCR-based
>>player like dvd standalones and appliances
>>in general (that closely follow the mpeg standard) will never play that
>>access unit (video or audio),
>>so you will have freezes on one of the streams
>>

>Ok, then these errors are not armless. My question is:
>What do I do?
>
>For example this is a very simple mencoder command line that just encode
>few seconds of the beginning of a DVD.
>mencoder -o TEST.mpg dvd://1 -frames 100 -ofps 30000/1001
>  -vf scale=720:480,harddup -oac copy -of mpeg -ovc lavc
>  -lavcopts vcodec=mpeg2video:aspect=16/9:vbitrate=7500:vrc_buf_size=1835:vrc_maxrate=7500
>
>I have plenty of:
>Error in stream: PTS earlier than SCR!
>Error in stream: PTS to SCR delay 0 is too little!
>
>and some
>
>Warning: DTS to SCR delay is too small.
>
>What is causing them?
>How can avoid them?
>
>Giacomo

with the current muxer there's nothing you can do to prevent them.
My new muxer seems to work correctly with fixed fps movies,
and the algorythm used to calculate SCR should avoid avoid pts/dts
underruns,
but there are still bugs left and some pathological cases, so you can
either wait some more :) or try my patch (search in mplayer-users-november).