[MPlayer-users] disagreement between mplayer displayed timecode and -ss flag

Dean S. Messing deanm at sharplabs.com
Mon Aug 30 20:32:03 CEST 2004

Running mplayer-1.0-0.pre5.3plf

I'm trying to extract a small swath of frames from the _Titanic_ DVD
in order to test some video processing algorithms.  I find the
approximate beginning of where I want to extract by viewig the DVD and
watching the "V: xxx.x" timecodes go by on the text output of the
commandline:

     mplayer dvd://1  -nosound  -monitoraspect 16:9

I find that what I want starts at about "V: 265.0"

But when I then do

mplayer dvd://1  -nosound  -ss 265 -frames 200 -monitoraspect 16:9

what gets played is somewhere around 435 seconds.

By cut and try I found that -ss 175 starts playing at 265.

Near the beginning of the film (first minute or so) there is not much
discrepancy.  Then it seems to jump to something pretty big after
couple minutes.

Any ideas on what is happening?  Maybe it has something to do with
switching between telecine and no telecine within the movie.  But I've
tried using -fps 29.970 to inhibit the auto-switching and it does not
solve the problem

Dean S. Messing
Display Algorithms & Visual Optimization Lab
Information Systems Technologies Dept.
Sharp Laboratories of America