[MPlayer-users] DV1394 stream

Nate Solberg nate at mountaintimes.com
Fri Aug 27 16:58:36 CEST 2004

On Aug 24, 2004, at 12:33 PM, Nico Sabbi wrote:

> Nate Solberg wrote:
>
>> Hello all.
>>
>> I've gotten a Motorola DCT-6200 digital cable HDTV box with a
>> firewire output. I've been told that this is a pure MPEG-2 stream and
>> should be able to be displayed/encoded by any MPEG-2 decoder. I've
>> setup the DV1394 kernel module and everything seems kosher, but I
>> need something to play back the stream. I was wondering if MPlayer
>> can do that, and if so how. I've seen that there is some trouble with
>> digital camcorders, but this should be a little simpler since there's
>> no controls, just a pure MPEG-2 stream.
>>

> what device is exposed by dv1394?
> can it be simply cat or does it need ioctl()s?
> in the former case, assuming the output is simply MPEG-TS,
> mplayer - < /dev/1394device_name should go, in the latter case
>
> you need for a stream driver.
>
> I'm curious, where can I find docs regarding MPEG-TS over 1394 and
> about dv1394 in linux?

I tried to CAT the /dev/dv1394 device, and nothing showed up at all.
I'm still looking into it, but it seems that the box does need to be
configured like a DVHS recorder or something of the sort. I'm guessing
the cable box needs a init string to begin transmitting. In Windows
(yeah yeah I know) the device can be recognized as a Panasonic DVHS
recorder. I had been using a stock Fedora Core 1 install, but got the
idea that DV1394 was a little more mature in the 2.6 tree, so I'm
trying to get 2.6.8 working right with the crap that Redhat ships.

To be totally honest, I need to put a little more time into this
project. I've been out of the hacking job for a while now and I'm
pretty rusty. I was kinda hoping it would be like the Mac and just plug
and work.