[MPlayer-users] 4 mencoder question and 1 mplayer

jimbo yebster jyebster at yahoo.ca
Thu Aug 26 10:48:54 CEST 2004

yebster wrote:
>> 2.
>> I want to use mencoder in order to prepare some avi
>> use with iMovie (mac OSX).
>> What codecs should I use?
>> iMovie works well with this file:
>> kevin at zipslack:~/divx/mencoder$ file dscf2419.avi
>> dscf2419.avi: RIFF (little-endian) data, AVI, 320 x
>> 240, 30.00 fps,
>> video: Motion JPEG, audio: uncompressed PCM (mono,
>> 16000 Hz)
>> Also, file says:
>> R1-mjpeg.avi: RIFF (little-endian) data, AVI, 320 x
>> 240, 30.00 fps,
>> video:, audio: uncompressed PCM (stereo, 44100 Hz)
>>     ^^^^^^
>> Perhaps the problem is here?
>
>Try vcodec=mpeg4. mjpeg is quite rare AFAIK. And it
seems iMovie can't
>read it.

Well, I tried all vcodecs and noone seems to work with
iMovie.
The only .avi that works for iMovie is provided by a
digital camera
which encodes in mjpeg (as file says), so I tried
vcodec=mjpeg, and that's
not good. Why? no idea.
Plus, why mencoder don't fill the "video=" field?

And even if I only:
mencoder -endpos 3 -ovc copy -oac copy dscf.avi -o
resample.avi
iMovie don't want to use it (dscf.avi is ok for
iMovie)
I really don't understand why.

>> And then, how to transform PCM stereo 44kHz in PCM
mono 16kHz?

>try -af resample=16000,channels=1

changes nothing :/
kevin at zipslack:~/divx/mencoder$ mencoder R1-cut.avi
-ovc copy
-oac pcm -af resample=16000,channels=1 -o
R1-testpcm.avi
kevin at zipslack:~/divx/mencoder$ file R1-testpcm.avi
R1-testpcm.avi: RIFF (little-endian) data, AVI, 480 x
360, 25.00 fps, video: DivX 3
Low-Motion, audio: uncompressed PCM (stereo, 44100 Hz)

>> 3.
>> I want to dump the audio from a scene in a mp3
file,
>> how?
>> mplayer -dumpaudio R1.avi
>> give me a "Core dumped ;)" and the file dump.stream
is nothing
>>usefull (mpg123 can't read it)
>
>But it is correct. Notice the ;) at the end. And the
file is named
>stream.dump. But it can be of any format - it's the
same format as in
>.avi file, not necessary mp3.

ok, I will have to mencoder the film with a -oac which
will translate it
into .mp3, and mplayer -dumpaudio next?
the result will be a mp3 playable with mpg123?

>> 5.
>> How to finely cut an AVI? I use -ss and -endpos but
is
>> there any option to cut by frame number?
>
>Unfortunately no.

too sad :(

>You may try the attached patch, by Antoine
>Duchâteau,it adds two new options, that control if we
should start/end
>exactly after keyframe, which is the only place seek
can be exact
>easily. It will modify your -ss and -endpos slightly
(less than 10s) but
>it will do so the same way on both parts, so the
resulting avi's should
>be correct. The patch is currently undergoing
cosmetics and is quite
>likely to be included in CVS soon.

I'll wait for the next release