: Re: [MPlayer-users] BUG: mencoder of pre5 crashes everytime

Martin Simmons vyslnqaaxytp at spammotel.com
Thu Aug 26 01:13:55 CEST 2004

  Stefan> Martin Simmons wrote:

  >> Hi there,
  >>
  >> Very sorry for leaving it so long before replying.
  >>
  >> The maps output just seems to add to the mystery, because the memory looks OK
  >> there and so I don't understand how the SIGSEGV can happen.  Unless gdb is
  >> broken or I've misanalysed it, discrepancies like this can only be caused by a
  >> bug in the OS or in the hardware.
  >>
  >> The up command confused the last register dump, so please post one more crash
  >> with the gdb commands (assuming sad16_y2_mmx2 is the topmost function again):
  >>
  >> bt
  >> disass $pc-32 $pc+32
  >> info all-registers
  >> disass sad16_y2_mmx2
  >> shell cat /proc/NNNNN/maps
  >>
  >> __Martin
  >>

  Stefan> Thanks, here you go.

I'm still not sure what is happening here.  The latest crash displays the
usually "good" register contents that fail to explain the SIGSEGV.  I will
keep looking.

Possibly your only hope for now is to reconfigure mplayer with --disable-mmx
(or --disable-mmx2).  I've not tried that, but hopefully it will prevent
sad16_y2_mmx2 from being called.

__Martin