[MPlayer-users] NO SOUND ? WHY ?

The Wanderer inverseparadox at comcast.net
Mon Aug 23 19:34:21 CEST 2004

www.developer.rs.sr wrote:

>>> Hi, I have just compiled mplayer, and installed it (make, make
>>> install) but when loading movie no sound device is detected...
>>> WHY ???
>>
>> The problem appears to be that other programs are using the sound
>> device. What -ao method are you using? Do you have ALSA, Arts, ESD
>> or similar running? If you do, try using that audio-out method (-ao
>> esd, for instance); if you don't, I don't have much to suggest
>> except that you kill anything else which might be using the sound
>> card.

(I've fixed your quoting style. Please change it yourself in future
posts.)

> The Wanderer, thanks for this tip, but no use of it... I've tried all
> combinations of OSS and ALSA with respective audio driver settings in
> Linux - SuSE 9.1 can play audio over OSS or ALSA... But nothing,
> MPLAYER in every case reports "no audio device...".

 From this I deduce, somewhat clumsily, that you (normally) have ALSA
running but not any of the others. If this is not correct, please tell
me.

> Than I 've tried to kill all processes that might be using audio. And
> once again, mplayer wasn't able to play sound with the same error
> message !!!

All I can say is that the error message "Could not open/initialize audio
device" means, to the best of my knowledge, one of three things: that
there *is* no audio device (plainly not the case here), that it is not
configured with the correct drivers and so forth (also not the case
here), or that some other program has locked the audio device for its
own use.

The most common thing to have running which locks the audio device is a
sound daemon, ALSA/Arts/ESD or similar. MPlayer is capable of using any
of these, with the correct -ao method; if none of the available -ao
methods function, then I honestly don't know what to suggest (other than
that it *might* be a bug in your -ao driver, if you seriously think that
that MPlayer must be the source of the problem).

Sorry I couldn't be more helpful.

--
       The Wanderer

side of it.