[MPlayer-users] Storing multiple audio tracks in an AVI file?

Alexander Noé alexander.noe at s2001.tu-chemnitz.de
Sun Aug 22 21:21:58 CEST 2004

ivanova wrote:

> On Sun, 22 Aug 2004 14:03:19 -0400 (EDT)
> Charles Wilcox <willo at wpi.edu> wrote:
>

>>Is it possible to create an AVI file with MEncoder with multiple audio
>>tracks in the stream?  The idea would be to store commentary and/or
>>language dub tracks inside the same AVI file, so one could choose any
>>audio track on playback.
>
> As I recall it is possible, but I would recommend you look into matroska or ogm.
> These containers are more suitable to what you want to do and are actually
> designed for that purpose

AVI is designed to hold up to 100 tracks. Using more tracks would require
some severe hacks, like what CDs holding more than 100 minutes of audio do.

Actually, I never needed to store more than 100 tracks in one file :o

OGM hasn't been designed to do anything, otherwise there would at least
be some specs...

Alex