[MPlayer-users] Avi to SVCD framerate encoding problem

4thgensi at comcast.net 4thgensi at comcast.net
Tue Aug 17 07:34:28 CEST 2004

On Mon, 16 Aug 2004 00:12:47 -0700
rcooley <rcooley at spamcop.net> wrote:

> On Mon, 16 Aug 2004 01:08:28 -0500
> 4thgensi at comcast.net wrote:
>

> > If I use any number without a decimal -ofps 25 or -ofps 30 it will
> > work fine. I don't understand why I am getting the error because I saw
> > a few examples that use 29.97.
>
> It's a recent change that Mencoder is so very strict about MPEG-1/2
> frame-rates, and I don't know why it was changed.
>
> Anyhow, you can get around it by a couple methods.  The "proper" way is
> to use -ofps 29.97002997  (or -ofps 23.976023976).  Alternatively, you
> could for it to use 29.97 if you add vstrict=-1 to your lavcopts.

Thanks, that worked.

After encoding a few things I noticed that mplayer isn't reporting the video bitrate. Not sure if mplayer or mencoders fault.

VIDEO:  MPEG2  480x480  (aspect 2)  29.970 fps    0.0 kbps ( 0.0 kbyte/s)

ID_FILENAME=done_1
ID_VIDEO_FORMAT=0x10000002
ID_VIDEO_BITRATE=0
ID_VIDEO_WIDTH=480
ID_VIDEO_HEIGHT=480
ID_VIDEO_FPS=29.970
ID_VIDEO_ASPECT=1.3333
ID_AUDIO_CODEC=mp3
ID_AUDIO_FORMAT=80
ID_AUDIO_BITRATE=128000
ID_AUDIO_RATE=44100
ID_AUDIO_NCH=2
ID_LENGTH=0

The bitrate setting in -lavcopts is definitely working since I can see the difference between 800k and 2300k.  Just isn't showing when looking at the video.

thanks