[MPlayer-users] Subtitles

antoine melser.anton at neuf.fr
Sat Aug 14 14:48:32 CEST 2004

Pablo Morales wrote:

>Hi there guys.
>
>I was playing with subtitles tools, the transcode tools, ocr stuff and so
>on, for one CD,  there is no problem, I can extract them , convert them to
>.srt,
>My problem arose when I tryed to  encode  2 CDs, I do not see the way to
>create the .srt for the second movie, the second half , I just cannot split
>the srt file in two.
>
>I was thinking that maybe I could split the vob file in two, then extract
>the subtitles for each one, and then encode the vobs  one by one, but I do
>no know if that will work . I do not use windows at home, so I'm not
>interested in any Win$$ Appz that could do that., I think that there must be
>a methood under *NIX.

I am going to start work on a gui to do this quite soon. Most of the
tools are there in transcode... I just have to get my C++ up to scratch!
It could probably be done with something else but I want to make a KDE
app. I should be able to tell you how to do it exactly if I am going to
do this... but still haven't really got my stuff together. A REALLY
dodgy solution for the moment is:
-download dvdrip
-set it up to do what you want (dvdrip is an excellent gui for this sort
of thing, but lacks converting from vobsub to anything), i.e., get the
subtitles chopped properly
-look at the transcode CL that it produces in the log (you will actually
have to run the entire encode, and rip the subs after, because it needs
the info from the runs. You will be able to get that info from somewhere
else so this is just to work out how to does it)
-use transcode to do it...
Cheers
Antoine
I have heard that subrip from windows runs really well under wine. I was
going to port it, but it uses a Delphi windows-only library that has
only half been ported to kylix, and I couldn't be bothered porting the
other things it needed... I know Delphi pretty well but am not really
interested in it...