[MPlayer-users] unexpected small file size

rcooley rcooley at spamcop.net
Thu Aug 12 10:34:42 CEST 2004

On Wed, 11 Aug 2004 09:52:16 +0200
Welko <welko at web.de> wrote:

> I used the following commands to perform 2 pass encoding on the video
> stream:

> mencoder raw.avi -oac copy -ovc lavc -lavcopts
> vcodec=mpeg4:vhq:vqmin=2:trell:autoaspect:vpass=2:vbitrate=1745 -vf
> crop=704:432:6:72,hqdn3d=2:1:2 -mc 0  -o final.avi
>
> The size of the file final.avi is 517741080 bytes (494MB) which is a
> _lot_ less than the size I expected. Is there something wrong with my
> math or with the command line?

It's late, so I'll leave it to somebody else to check your math.

I see a  few things that might be a problem...  A bitrate of 1745 is
rather high, so it's entirely possible that your video can just be
replicated perfectly with much less.  This is most likely if your video
is animation, in which case you see lots of "duplicate frame" messages
when you encode.

You aren't using "-ofps", but you are encoding from NTSC material.
Look-up "soft telecine" in the mplayer DOCS to find out more.  Try using
"-ofps 23.976", and your problem may be solved.

-mc 0 could be causing a problem as well.  Watch the output file, and
see if the video or audio end prematurely.  If so, drop -mc 0.