[MPlayer-users] how to get length of a video without playing it?

dave giffin givdav01 at yahoo.com
Mon Aug 9 20:38:58 CEST 2004

How can I get the total length of a video or audio
clip without actually playing it?

I have a GUI wrapper for mplayer that lists all the
supported video & audio clips in a folder. I would
like to be able to include the length of each clip in
this list.

I know mplayer can usually tell the length of a clip
once its started playing it, but can it tell me
without playing the clip (doing that would not look
right and would take too long for what I want the
information for).

Is this possible? Or, do I need to modify mplayer? If
yes, how should it be modified?

:)