[MPlayer-users] mplayer rebuilds index of avi created with mencoder, even after using mencoder to rebuild index.

Farrell Farahbod upgrdman at mindspring.com
Sun Aug 8 16:29:39 CEST 2004

I just compressed a movie with mencoder, and now when I try to play the
new file mencoder created, mplayer rebuilds the index each time it plays
it. I even tried to use mencoder to rebuild the index perminently with:

mencoder file-made-by-mencoder.avi -ovc copy -oac copy -idx -o
new-file-with-rebuilt-index.avi

and mplayer still rebuilds the index each time it tries to play the
movie.

I'm using MPlayer/MEncoder 1.0pre4-3.3.3, which is the version Gentoo
seems to have currently marked as stable. Is this a known bug with this
version? I know there are newer versions, and even CVS, but is there any
other way to resolve this problem, or is upgrading to the newer versions
my best bet?

Thanks,

--Farrell F.

P.S. If it helps, heres the command I origionally used to compress my
movie the first time:

mencoder file.vob -ovc lavc -lavcopts
vcodec=mpeg4:vbitrate=1120:vhq:v4mv:qpel:vpass=2 -sws 2 -vop
scale=672:288,crop=720:356:0:60 -oac mp3lame -aid 128 -lameopts
abr:br=128 -ofps 23.976 -o file-pass1.avi

I also did the second pass.