[MPlayer-users] mplayer gets stuck playing SDP file

Eric J.M.Smith tarkvara at sympatico.ca
Sat Aug 7 00:44:28 CEST 2004

Greetings,

I'm trying to get mplayer to open SDP files which point to MPEG4 files which are being streamed from Darwin Streaming Server.  I've built mplayer-1.0pre5 on Fedora Core 1 with the --enable-live option.

I can succesfully play the stream directly from the server, using a command line like:
   mplayer -V rtsp://mydarwinserver.com:554/mymovie.mp4

However, if I play an SDP file which points to the same server address, nothing gets played.  Mplayer says that is has found the audio and video streams and then just stops.  The tail end of the output is as follows:

Playing sdp://test4.sdp.
File size is 1110 bytes
Initiated "audio/MPEG4-GENERIC" RTP subsession
Increased audio socket receive buffer to 100000 bytes
Initiated "video/MP4V-ES" RTP subsession
Increased video socket receive buffer to 2000000 bytes
==> Found audio stream: 0
==> Found video stream: 0

To create the SDP file, I basically snarfed off the DESCRIBE response from Darwin Streaming Server and edited it slightly.  If I open this SDP file using mp4player (from MPEG4-IP) or QuickTime Player, everything streams nicely.  To make sure it wasn't a Darwin issue, I also tried using the SDP file to access the same MP4 movie being streamed from Helix Universal Server.  Same result.

Any suggestions as to why the SDP file wouldn't be working with mplayer?

Thanks,

Eric J. M. Smith
Tarkvara Design Inc.