[MPlayer-users] Re: Extracting image from a movie

King baggetun at netscape.net
Fri Aug 6 20:25:23 CEST 2004

> -ss, in most cases, simply rounds up or down (not sure which, and it
> might depend on whichever is closer) from the timestamp you specify in
> order to get to the nearest available keyframe. In some cases - MPEG
> containers, in particular - the matter is further complicated because of
> issues with timestamps; when using -ss in an MPEG container, you will
> almost never end up exactly where you specify, and will usually end up
> past it. (I do, sort of, know why, but I just woke up and it isn't clear
> in my head right now.)

Thanks, I will probably 'use' mpeg4 in my application (Divx4/5, lavc, or xvid)
and will have to live with that this is complicated because I want to use
mplayer for this and not waste time and resources on using one tool for encoding
and one for getting those images (e.g I could perhaps use transcode or another
tool for getting the image I want from each movie).

cheers
- King