[MPlayer-users] DVD rip Crop & scale little problems

JiHO jo.irisson at noos.fr
Wed Aug 4 10:56:15 CEST 2004

rcooley wrote:
>>Thus how can I calculate manually the cropping and rescaling of the
>>image?
> Instead of doing it manually, I would suggest letting scale do it
> automatically. eg:  "-vf crop=718:432:2:72,scale=-1:-2,scale=576:352"

I think that the problem is that this line will scale the movie
correctly after scale -1,-2 but will rescale it wrong with 576:352 as
this aspect ratio corresponds to a height extended one. maybe :
-vf crop=718:432:2:72,scale=-1:-2,scale=576:-2
should work but I appears redundant to me. furthermore it doesn't
provide multiple of 16 for the height. Am I wrong somewhere???

The only two solutions I see are:
- crop with dimensions that are multiple of 16 and use autoaspect. which
is the solution that should be prefered if the movie is to be played
with mplayer. but, yes, it can lead to problems on a standalone player.
- crop and scale manually to dimensions that provide the correct aspect
ratio (2,35) and that are divisible by 16 as I explained in my first mail.

cheers,
--
JiHO
---