[MPlayer-users] pre4/pre5 joystick problem

Marek Szuba scriptkiddie at wp.pl
Mon Aug 2 12:47:35 CEST 2004

Hello,

Starting with version 1.0pre4 and, as I can now see, still present in
1.0pre5 I have been a witness to an interesting phenomenon occurring
whenever I tried to run mplayer with joystick support compiled in and
kernel drivers (2.6.7) loaded. Namely, even though the device in
question (a plain, digital gameport-connected joystick) works fine
otherwise (other joystick-using programs aside, it has no problems with
mplayer-1.0pre3 and older versions) and jstest does not show any signs
of problems on the kernel side, to mplayer the joystick always appears
to be pointing in some direction, thus interfering with other bindings
(e.g. "No bind found for key JOY_LEFT-q" whenever I want to quit; I have
to use Ctrl-C); the fact that it is not can be demonstrated by pushing
it in the opposite direction, leading to such interesting messages as
"No bind found for key JOY_LEFT-JOY_RIGHT".

As to which direction the joystick is believed to be locked in, it
changes every time mplayer is run but appears to be either left or right
only.

Could you have a look at this?

PS. Please address/cc all further questions etc. to me directly, I'm not
a subscriber of this list.

Regards,
--
MS