[MPlayer-users] Trouble playing video streams from pbs.org

Curtis Magyar cumagyar at mts.net
Sun Apr 25 11:50:23 CEST 2004

Hello.

I've been trying to get these video streams to play for quite some time
now, and I'm just wondering if anyone has any suggestions for me to try.

http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/nova/mars/program.html

The unfortunate thing is, they restrict viewing to from within the US
for some retarded reason, even though there are 2 PBS affiliates on my
local cable that have local telephone numbers to accept donations (which
I have done before, but never again - I'll end that rant right now
though ;)  So I'm trying to access them through a US proxy.  They have
Quicktime, RealVideo, and WMV available, but I can't seem to get any of
them to play.  The closest I got was with the QuickTime one, the others
I can't even seem to get to via the proxy.  I'll attach the log, but the
key part seems to be:

Cannot find codec matching selected -vo and video format 0x20666967.
Read DOCS/HTML/en/codecs.html!

Is this just an unsupported codec?  I don't have a real QuickTime
anywhere to find which dll its supposed to be using, as is suggested in
codecs.html. I do have the quicktime dlls from mplayerhq.hu installed
and working for other .mov's.

Anyone able to point me in the right direction?  Do these streams play
for any of you US folks?

--
Curtis