[MPlayer-users] movie aspect and scaling with -zoom -xy

Aaron Peterson aaron at alpete.com
Fri Apr 23 21:25:53 CEST 2004

I was noticing earlier this week that when encoding with lavc to mpeg4
from dvd that I was having some scaling problems with a few dvds.  the
dvds in question show text output that says it scales from 720x480 to
854x480 (iirc) for playback.  when encoding with -vf crop,scale -zoom -xy
640 I get egg heads.  i was under the impression mencoder could figure out
the correct ratio on it's own with -zoom, but perhaps only with autoaspect
or with mpeg video that is stored at the correct aspect (rather than
resizing at playback)?