[MPlayer-users] video filters override movie aspect (was: Re: -vo quartz overrides movie aspect)

Dominik 'Rathann' Mierzejewski dominik at rangers.eu.org
Fri Apr 23 21:03:42 CEST 2004

On Friday, 23 April 2004 at 20:57, Steven M. Schultz wrote:
> Hi -
>
> 	It looks like the new "-vo quartz" (so I'm obviously running MPlayer
> 	on a OS/X system ;)) video output scaling the movie with the
> 	screen/display aspect.
>
> 	If a MAC has a 'widescreen' LCD such as the Powerbook's 17" LCD
> 	(1440x900) or the Cinema-HD display (1920x1200) using "-vo quartz"
> 	scales (and squishes) the movie into a 16:10 aspect even if the
> 	movie would fit entirely on the screen.
>
> 	For example I have a 480x480 4:3 movie and play it with "-vo quartz" the
> 	playback window is 778x480 rather than 640x480
>
> 	Playing back ATSC HDTV (1920x1080i) gives a 1920x900 image when no
> 	scaling at all is needed (HD is at 16:9 using 1:1 pixels).
>
> 	This feels like the MPEG aspect flags are being replaced by the
> 	physical aspect of the display.
>
> 	'-vo sdl' uses the Quartz subsystem and does not scale the image (but
> 	does not do fullscreen - can't have everything I guess ;)).
>
> 	Is this a "bug" or a 'feature' in '-vo quartz'? ;)

It's probably something unrelated to quartz directly, because I'm
experiencing similar behaviour with xv, but only with video filters
enabled. When no filters are active, everything is fine. I haven't been
able to trace the origin of this bug yet, so I'm afraid it's all I've got
now. Please see if it behaves similarly with vo quartz.

--
MPlayer RPMs maintainer: http://greysector.rangers.eu.org/mplayer.html