[MPlayer-users] TV-Out without XServer

Kristian Niemi rance at mbnet.fi
Wed Apr 21 18:59:00 CEST 2004

Well ... As I said, I don't know anything about your card or how to make
it work. For my ATI-card I have to use a separate program in order for
it to `send the signal to the tv', after which I run mplayer to play,
for example, the movie.

For me to be able to watch movies without X, I use vesa. Nothing else
works for me. Have you tried with other alternatives? (See -vo help to
see those alternatives.) I really don't know if for example fbdev or
directfb works without X; doesn't hurt to try, eh? But I'm still
guessing you'd need something to `send' the signal to the tv. Can you in
any other ways watch `computer on tv'; i.e. use something else than
mplayer that `shows up on your tv'?

(Oh, and I just want to emphasize that I really don't know squat about
this. I'm just a newbie who happens to have struggled a lot with tv-out
recently, and managed to soak up /some/ knowledge in the process...)

h: Kristian