[MPlayer-users] loseless compression

Hans du Plooy hdp at webmail.co.za
Mon Apr 19 13:08:50 CEST 2004

amber wrote:

>what should i install in the linux system to be able to record tv in a loseless
>compression? i've heard about codecs like huffyuv but i can't figure out of the manual
>how to define output to use this codec.

I use mencoder with raw codecs for that (actually I don't, but that's
the first I tried -my hard disc couldn't keep up :-)
I don't know the exact syntax - I could check at home and send it to you
tomorrow.

It's not compressed though.  Flac would probably be nice for audio -
don't know if mencoder can do that.

I get pretty good results with just using -oac mp3lame -ovc lavc and
using a high bitrate/quality setting for both. Audio at 320kbit and
video at 1400kbit or more give good results.  Certainly enough for the
quality image and sound that tv tuners are capable of.

Hans