[MPlayer-users] Savage XvMC acceleration

Ivan Kalvachev ivan at cacad.com
Sun Apr 18 02:39:26 CEST 2004

Sérgio Monteiro Basto said:
> Hi
>
> Just sharing my experience,after apply the via2.diff.gz patch for
> Savage XvMC and
> copy /usr/X11R6/include/X11/Xlibint.h to xc/xc/include/extensions
> ( I forget mention that before )
>
> and correct makefile for new path of drm.
>
> I try mplayer -vo xvmc:queue -vc ffmpeg12mc dvd://
> and mplayer -vo xvmc -vc ffmpeg12mc dvd://
> the logs differences:
>
> -#mplayer -vo xvmc:queue -vc ffmpeg12mc dvd://
> +#mplayer -vo xvmc -vc ffmpeg12mc dvd://
>
> -vo_xvmc: Allocated Direct Context
> +vo_xvmc: Allocated Indirect Context!
>
> the most significant line in logs:
> Unable to create XvMCSurface
This line is printed by the library not by mine
driver. In short it tries to allocate us muc as possible
surfaces, so it could make bigger buffering.
>From the source below I see that it allocate 5 surface
when 4 are the critical minimum (2-I/P, 1-B, 1-visible/B)
As the driver uses fast OSD draw method, it is not a problem.

The most interesting part is the Indirect Context.
The spec say that the video driver should draw the image
in this case.
I will double check but it may be driver issue. Anyway Indirect
mean slower (e.g. like you have an standalone decode chip that
is separate from the video card).

> so just a black window !

Do you have any progress since then?