[MPlayer-users] mencoder: dvd & sync

Ihar 'Philips' Filipau filia at softhome.net
Thu Apr 15 15:03:08 CEST 2004

Hello All!

    [ cc: me please - not on the list ]

    I have seen some old messages (dated back to 2002) about sync
problems while extracting vidoe from DVDs with mencoder.

    I have similar problem.

    I've tryed to "skip" promotional @#$%^&* from Disney on PeterPan DVD
and did something like this:

    $ mencoder dvd://1 -ovc copy -oac copy -o pp.avi

    After several seconds of "copying" mencoder reached "A-V" ~0.06 and
stayed there till the end of movie. But it is really true - desync is
easy to spot, especially on musical/signing parts.

    I have tryed with "-mc 0" (max correction 0) and hepled bit - but
still syncronization is not that great and in some moment it feels very
much.

    DVD (which I believe is mpeg2) is CBR both video and audio - so this
is last problem I expected.

    mplayer plays this DVD with no problems at all.

    I have tryed to use ffmpeg/xvid+mp3 encoding - thought it is better
tested than raw copying - but problem remains.

    Version: mencoder taken from MacOS X binary builds from
<mplayerosx.sf.net>. Linux version from RPMs from <www.mplayerhq.hu>
expose preciely same behaviour. IIRC Linux's 0.9[12] versions have had
the very same problem.

P.S. Actually all DVDs I have expose this mencoder's behaviour. It would
be nice to hear a peice of advice.

--
Ihar 'Philips' Filipau  / with best regards from Saarbruecken.