[MPlayer-users] Can't get digital sound on Revolution 7.1

Jesper Sörensen jesper at datapartner.se
Wed Apr 14 00:21:48 CEST 2004

>If anyone has a Revolution 7.1 running with S/PDIF
>sound on Linux, I'd appreciate your advice.

I have a Revo too and S/PDIF out is working for PCM, but not for AC3 or
DTS ("format AC3 are not supported by hardware"). I don't know what's up
with the AC3 passthrough but I guess it is a bug in the Alsa driver (I
posted to the alsa-users list the other day but didn't get any reactions).

This is my /etc/asound.conf:

pcm.!default {
        type plug
        slave {
                pcm "hw:0,1"
        }
}

Use it with "mplayer -ao alsa1x:default". Also make sure IEC958 &
IEC958_1 are set to "PCM Out" in alsamixer.

Good luck, and if you get AC3 over S/PDIF working I'd appreciate some
hints...