[MPlayer-users] md5 checking

alvin.mpeg at ns.linux-1u.net alvin.mpeg at ns.linux-1u.net
Tue Apr 13 20:59:02 CEST 2004

hi ya paul

> On Mon, 12 Apr 2004 17:50:21 -0700 (PDT)
> alvin.mpeg at ns.linux-1u.net wrote:
>
> > [...]
> > - its to prevent mplayer from playing files it should not display :-)
>
> for instance?!?!?

xxx movies ...  some folks will object to those movies
being played on a public/shared mpeg player

- a script wrapped around mplayer wont help, because the
  cracker can simply make their own playlist and bypass the
  "self checK security script" ( invoke mplayer directly )

- if mplayer -md5 option is compiled into the mplayer binary, than
  it'd be a lot harder for script kiddie to modify the playlist
  and also provide the md5 of the mpegs from a url that is
  hard coded into the player

- just wondering ... that's our answer to the question of
  minimizing the risk of playing unauthorized movies

c ya
alvin