[MPlayer-users] 2 pass xvid encoding with mencoder

D Richard Felker III dalias at aerifal.cx
Wed Apr 7 18:20:34 CEST 2004

On Wed, Apr 07, 2004 at 08:12:42PM +0400, "Vladimir"  wrote:
> >please, post the full commands and the full logs
>
> commands:
>
> mencoder -oac copy -ovc xvid -xvidencopts pass=1 103_0400.avi -o /dev/null
> mencoder -oac copy -ovc xvid -xvidencopts pass=2 103_0400.avi -o out.avi
>
> logs are in attachment

How about reading the messages from the log? It's very clear:

xvid: you must specify one or a valid combination of 'bitrate', 'pass', 'quantizer' settings

How you expect to get a usable file without specifying any parameters
like bitrate is beyond me. This isn't macintosh where the crappy
encoding software just picks a bitrate for you and makes an ugly
blocky movie...

Rich