[MPlayer-users] coding into mpeg

Philipp Wollermann phil_wo at gmx.net
Tue Apr 6 18:58:06 CEST 2004

>>> Add '-of mpeg' to your commandline. This won't necessarily solve
>>> all your problems, but it will give you an MPEG container instead
>>> of an AVI.
>>

>> and what if I would like to code some jpeg whitout the DivX codec ?
>

> ???
>
> What codec would you like to use? You have to output into *some* format.
> The resulting video file can be either in an MPEG container or in an AVI
> container (or others if support is ever added), but the video itself has
> to use some codec, and MPEG-4 is AFAIK one of the best (particularly
> libavcodec's implementation).
>
> I suppose what I'm asking is, what end product do you want? What are you
> trying to get out of the process, once you've completed it?

I guess he wants an MPEG-1 encoded video in an MPEG container, which is
playable by Windows without installing any codec (that's the only good
thing about MPEG-1 I can think about...) and thus he should use this
command to obtain it:

mencoder "mf://*.jpg" -mf fps=25  -audiofile suono.wav -ovc lavc
-lavcopts vcodec=mpeg1video -oac copy -of mpeg -o movie.mpg

If you want the final video to have a certain resolution, lets say
640x480 add: "-vf scale=640:480" so you finally have the string:

mencoder "mf://*.jpg" -mf fps=25  -audiofile suono.wav -ovc lavc
-lavcopts vcodec=mpeg1video -vf scale=640:480 -oac copy -of mpeg -o
movie.mpg

Hope this helps.. :)
Philipp