[MPlayer-users] Re: Newbie problems starting mencoder

Jonathan Rogers jonner at teegra.net
Thu Sep 25 05:21:51 CEST 2003

Fabio Papa wrote:
> On Wednesday 24 September 2003 11:49, Amit Jain wrote:
>
>>Hi there,
>>
>>I'm trying to convert my DVD's to DivX, I followed the instructions from
>>this website"
>>http://www.bsdvault.net/article.php?sid=552&mode=thread&order=0
>>
>>Command executed:
>>cat *.vob | mencoder -o mymovie.avi -oac mp3lame -lameopts br=192:vbr=2
>>-ovc lavc -lavcopts vcodec=mpeg4:vhq:keyint=250 -vop lb
>
> You have an options file in your home dir and that is bad. Fix it. Hint: line
> 1 seems to be wrong.

There may be a problem with the config file, but there also was no input
file specified. If you want to encode from standard input, you have to
use "-" as the input file. I would avoid the BSDvault article entirely,
since it has several mistakes and gives bad advice. The option "-vop lb"
is bogus. I assume the author meant "-vop pp=lb". Using a deinterlacer
on DVD material is usually a bad idea anyway. Specifically, one should
only deinterlace TV sources.

For film sources, don't use any filter if mplayer automatically reverses
the telecine. Otherwise, use something like "-vop detc=dr=1" or "-vop
ivtc". If the source is film, make sure to set the proper framerate,
such as "-ofps 23.976".

It's also a bad idea to use VBR MP3 in an AVI, since there are often
sync problems. A better place to start would be MPlayer's own documentation.

<URL:http://www.mplayerhq.hu/DOCS/tech/encoding-tips.txt>

Jonathan Rogers