[MPlayer-users] Playing mencoder's recorded AVI's on windows media player: AUDIO DESYNC

Arwed von Merkatz v.merkatz at gmx.net
Wed Sep 24 11:05:43 CEST 2003

On Tue, Sep 23, 2003 at 09:48:48PM -0300, Andre Bruce wrote:
> I allways record stuff  from TV, and i can watch  them pretty well using
> mplayer.
> But, when trying to watch those files on windows media player, all of
> them got audio/video desync. Any  ideas  ?

The problem is that -oac mp3lame uses variable bitrate by default.
Variable bitrate audio in avi is a hack used by way too many people.
Some avi files with variable bitrate play fine in windows media player
but get desynch with mplayer, for some it's the other way around.

I suggest using constant bitrate audio encoding if you want files with
maximum compatibility (-lameopts cbr).