[MPlayer-users] Re: mplayer with bt878

Jonathan Rogers jonner at teegra.net
Fri Sep 19 09:33:34 CEST 2003

Chittaranjan Mandal wrote:
> But there is no sound, which could be a problem with the bttv kernel module.
> Any suggestions?

The "bttv" module doesn't deal with sound directly. Typically, a cable
is connected from the line out on the TV card to some sound input, like
line in on the sound card. In this case, mplayer doesn't need to deal
with audio at all.

There is also the "btaudio" module that presents an OSS dsp device to
read digital audio from the tuner. I've never used it, since I use a
VCR's tuner and get audio directly from it. You'll have to experiment
with the mplayer "-tv" option if you want it to read audio, probably
setting "immediatemode=0". This has been discussed recently; check the
archives.

Jonathan Rogers