[MPlayer-users] mencoder crashes entire system daily

Fri Sep 19 00:37:09 CEST 2003

I use mencoder to record tv shows from my v4l card.  Unfortunately, it
crashes every 2/3 times during 30 minute shows.

I am using this:

/usr/local/bin/mencoder -tv
on:driver=v4l:input=0:chanlist=us-cable:channel=$channel:width=400:height=300:fps=29.970:norm=NTSC -of avi -ovc lavc -oac mp3lame -vop detc -o $filename

I get the same (actually worse) results when I omit the detc and use
scale instead.

I am using MEncoder 0.90rc5-3.2 because I cannot compile the newest
version due to gcc issues (and I cannot upgrade right now).

How can I submit a bug report or look if one already exists?  Is there a
different combination of options I can try?

PS - I have a few perl scripts that I wrote to pull off TV listings and
automatically record any number of specified shows that it searches for
by name.  It's run by cron every 30 minutes and works very well (except
that mencoder keeps crashing my entire system).  Just email me if you
want a copy.

Thanks,
Michael