[MPlayer-users] mplayer and laptop + external monitor

Timothy Hamlin thamlin at zeus.nmt.edu
Tue Sep 16 16:48:34 CEST 2003

Greetings list,

I'm running RH9 with kernel 2.4.20-20 on a Dell Inspiron 8100 with an "ATI
Radeon Mobility 7500" video card and XFree86 4.3.0-2.  Installed the RH
packages:

mplayer-common-0.91-2.i386.rpm
mplayer-skin-default-1.0-2.noarch.rpm
mplayer-gui-0.91-2.i386.rpm

And they seem to work beautifully, with one exception.  When running the
laptop with it's built-in display all is perfect, however, when driving an
external display (in this case, I generally use my laptop more as a
desktop with a ViewSonic VG800 LCD display attached) the video (in the
"Mplayer - Video" window) is blank.  i.e., the video shows up still on the
laptop's display, but is blank for the same window on the external
display.

Is this a bug in the radeon driver, or is it something mplayer is assuming
about which video port to send the video to?

Thanks!

(PS -- Exact same "bug" in Ogle as well...)
Sorry if I missed this in the FAQ, I read it very late last night, and
couldn't find anything...
   Timothy Hamlin ** thamlin at nmt dot edu ** http://www.nmt.edu/~thamlin/