[MPlayer-users] Good PCI card for MPlayer

Alastair Preston aprestn5 at telus.net
Tue Sep 16 07:04:38 CEST 2003

On 15 September 2003 01:44 am, Felip wrote:
> Hi! After my problems compiling MPlayer for my Matrox Millenium II I'm
> wondering about replacing it for another card. So I'll like to know
> your opinion about MPlayer's performance of PCI cards.
>
> My main options are a new Nvidia Riva TNT2 32 MB for 39 euros and a
> second hand ATI Rage II 8 MB for 14 euros.
>
> The point is that the computer is an old 233 MMX Pentium, so I'm afraid
> CPU power will be a bottleneck and I'll notice no performance
> enhancement with a better card. I would avoid driver/compiling
> problems, too, I would like a card with a good Linux support.
>
> Thanks in advance.

I used an ATI Xpert98 8Mb PCI card for a while and was never satisfied with
it's performance with Linux - 2D was fine, but 3D was unsatisfactory even
with the Gatos Mach64 drivers and running on an Athlon 750.  I've since
replaced the card with an ATI Rage Fury 32Mb AGP, but still don't get totally
satisfactory performance with mplayer, some files play fine but others,
particularly .mov files, run unevenly and have very poor and irregular colour
rendition. ( I also can't get the vidix driver to work, but that's probably
me not understanding how to set it up properly).

I've been toying with the idea of trying an nVidia card, but budget
considerations have held me back.

Al Preston
--
Long live the penguin!