[MPlayer-users] Re: encoding quality - bpp, resolution, quantsand quality

Jonathan Rogers jonner at teegra.net
Fri Sep 12 14:35:18 CEST 2003

Michael Niedermayer wrote:
>>I don't really understand mbd=2, but I'd recommend doing some testing.
>
> it chooses the encoding which minimizes sum_of_squared_errors +
> number_of_bits*lambda
>

>>It might only improve psnr with 2pass encoding.
>
> no, its always better

So, can anybody explain the relationship between vqscale, vqmin, vqmax,
mbqmin, and mbqmax? Is specifying vqscale the same as specifying vqmin
and vqmax with the same value? Does mbqmin limit minimum quantizers even
if vqmin is lower? Is there ever a good reason to change mbqmin and mbqmax?

Jonathan Rogers