[MPlayer-users] Re: encoding quality - bpp, resolution, quantsand quality

Corey Hickey bugfood-ml at fatooh.org
Fri Sep 12 03:05:05 CEST 2003

HR wrote:
> How useful is trell for DVD encodings? Should be less noise there than
> from a TV/VCR source? How does digital TV broadcasting fit in here?

In my experience it increases PSNR somewhat. Of course, PSNR isn't
everything, but with such small differences it's nice to have a
quantifiable comparison.

> I also considered using mbd=1, or is that the default when using vhq? I
> mean if there's a difference between the "vhq" turned on by mbd=1 and
> the vhq parameter, what is it? And if not, do they work well together?
>
> HR

As far as I know, vhq is just an alias for mbd=1. You might as well
try mbd=2, though. My tests have shown it to increase psnr somewhat,
again.

-Corey