[MPlayer-users] Re: mencoder crash

D Richard Felker III dalias at aerifal.cx
Thu Sep 11 07:20:33 CEST 2003

On Wed, Sep 10, 2003 at 10:49:07PM -0500, Jonathan Rogers wrote:
> Michael Niedermayer wrote:
> >On Tuesday 09 September 2003 12:01, Jonathan Rogers wrote:
> >>The crash happened right at the end of a movie or show, though not at
> >>the end of the VOB, right? Did you concatenate a bunch of titles? I've
> >>observed that the last chapter of a DVD title is usually empty. Maybe
> >>it's just an end marker. I've also observed the crash you had, usually
> >>right at the end of the movie. Coincidence? I don't think so.
> >
> >this may be "fixed" in latest ffmpeg developer cvs (= tomorrows ffmpeg
> >annonymous cvs) allthough the correct fix would be to not reinit the
> >encoder at all ...
>
> Do you know why mencoder feels it needs to reinitialize the encoder? Is
> it some peculiarity of DVD VOBs, or just a mencoder peculiarity?

It's not mencoder per se, but either vd_ffmpeg.c or libavcodec. For
some reason it thinks something has changed in the stream which
requires reinit, but reinit is broken in mencoder.

BTW, I've never seen this happen, and I assume it does not happen
unless you cat vob files together, which is the wrong way to encode a
DVD. You should always use dvd:// (with -dvd-device pointed to the
fake DVD root if you copied the vobs off the DVD) or dump the whole
title with mplayer -dumpstream.

All the cat *.vob | mencoder stuff should be removed from the DOCS...

Rich